I'm assuming you are referring to the shader program info log message:
    Validation Failed: No vertex array object bound.

That's a mystery. It doesn't appear on Windows. I find it odd that OS X would require the use of vertex array objects when you open a 3.x context, but that's what the error text appears to imply. I did a quick web search and didn't see any discussion of such a message.
   -Paul