Paul,

On Mar 4, 2012, at 20:03 , Paul Martz <pma...@skew-matrix.com> wrote:

I believe the poster in that LWJGL thread is mistaken. Vertex array objects are not required in a 3.2 core profile context. See the OpenGL 3.2 core profile spec, which clearly states that a default (ID = 0) vertex array object is used when the app hasn't explicit bound an app-created VAO.

Yes, I think so too. Unfortunately Apple decides that a VAO is required. I can fill a radar and ask in the developer forums but, for now, what is the best solution?

Best regards,

  David

If you are not getting correct rendering unless you bind a VAO, then that sounds like a possible driver bug. On Windows, for example, I am able to get correct rendering if I modify osgsimplegl3 as follows:
* Change the "#version 140" to "#version 150" in both shader source strings.
* Change the version string from "3.1" to "3.2".
* Set the profile bit to 0x1 (WGL's core profile bit).
Then, "osgsimplegl3 teapot.osg" renders correctly without any warnings or errors.

Assuming it's a driver bug, I'm not sure how we'd want to work around it. However, I imagine a submission to add VAO support to OSG Drawables might be considered by Robert for inclusion in a future release.
  -Paul