Hi Bram,

In order to debug your app, first of all you need pdb files and
configure VS 2010 wrt your build environment. Whenever you create a
cmake project, you will get a target named "RelWithDebugInfo" which is
almost equivalent to "Release" except the generation pdb files. With
pdb files you should be able to set breakpoints like a regular debug
session even with release build of osg. Please take a look at the link
[1] howto configure VS to achieve this task. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Deniz

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ms241613.aspx