HI Jamie,

On 23 April 2014 09:58, Jaime <xatp...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> What about 'pools'? We have been thinking about having a pool system to
> manage trees (lamps, cars, etc.). We would render only the objects that are
> near the player.

The nodes of the scene graph are pretty lightweight, it's the geometry
and textures that are large so what you want to achieve is sharing of
the geometry and textures (and other state) but you generally don't
need to attempt to save internal nodes in the scene graph.  This means
that when you build the scene graph build the internal nodes so it
provides well balanced culling - via both spatial and LOD culling and
share as much of the leaves and state as you can.  If you have a
static scene then you probably won't need to worry about managing a
pool of geometry and state apart from for the purposes of building the
scene graph in the first place.

If you are needing to page the database because it's far too big to
fit in memory then there may be value in managing a pool that is
shared.  The osgDB library has a cache which you can use for this
purpose, or you could create a pseudo loader to managing the
instances.