I always build from scratch in an empty build directory.
What platform and build tools are you using?

The use of REPLACE was introduced in a submission from Torben related
to VS2017 binary support:

https://github.com/openscenegraph/OpenSceneGraph/commit/67ef816da00441121f7b2cb606ee19bbb1f15e80

We could revert this but it'd break support for VS2017 binaries...  I
don't have any suggestions yet on what an appropriate fix might be.
I'm not a Windows dev so will need to defer resolution to those with
WIndows expertise.

Windows 10 (64-bit), CMake 3.8.1, Visual C++ 2015.

My guess is that it just needs a fixup to deal with the case of NOT building
the Collada plugin, when those strings are probably empty. I'll kick off a
build with the quote-wrapping fix and let you know later but it is probably
best to ask Torben to take a look.

Cheers,
Stuart