HI Paul & Tim,

I believe the SVN version of dev releases series to be quite
reasonable shape, if they weren't I won't be considering going for
2.0.  I consider the 1.9.x *more* stable than 2.0 in most aspects, so
having people use 1.2 instead of what we have right now is harming
those users experience.

Also please realise we I intending to start rev'ing stable releases
faster than before, with patches made 2.0 when pretty regularly.  I'm
not expecting a 2.0 to sit out there for 8 months without any update.
The OSG is under continued development, I want stable releases to
reflect this too.

The interest in having 2.0 out with binaries in the same time frame as
coherency and simplicity.  Right now for new users coming across the
OSG they see 1.2 with binaries, 1.9.x dev series, the SVN version and
the book talking about a 2.0 is even out...  If you've been around the
OSG community for a long while and followed all the threads about the
different versions and their role its a bit clearer, but for new users
its just mess.  Even an imperfect 2.0 will cure much of this.

Consider what happens much of the time when new users come by the OSG,
many of the support responses are to use the SVN or 1.9.x series
versions.  This is silly, if 1.9.x is good enough to recommend to new
uses over 1.2 then they really should be going straight to 2.0, and
not even complicating their lives with 1.2.

W.r.t missing features, I don't plan to pull anything from the current
SVN version, so osgShadow, osgTerrain and osgViewer will all be in
their as they are right now, albeit with a few more refinements.
osgShadow and osgTerrain are new NodeKits, so if they aren't complete
then its not ideal, but its not going to break any existing apps.
osgViewer is more of core topic, but most of the core functionality is
there and working better than it did with osgProducer.

Things missing from osgViewer are configuration file support and
Pbuffers, both of which might be completable before 2.0.  For most
users neither of these features will be must haves though.  For those
that they are must haves might need to wait for a 2.0.x or just stick
with osgProducer till these happen.   I don't see these not having
these features for 2.0 as being show stoppers.