I've noticed something along these lines as well: there are times when the mouse
is definitely not moving and object motion has clearly stopped, but when
mousebutton release occurs the motion suddenly resumes as if thrown.  It's as if
there's an stale mousemove delta lingering in the momentum calculation.  It's
bugged me for ages on both win32 and linux, but it doesn't happen all the time.
 (tho it usually happens most often when I'm trying to do very precise
positioning :-/)  My workaround has been to also press another button before
releasing any; that seems to force the mousemove state into the event history.

-- mew

--
Mike Weiblen -- Austin Texas USA -- http://mew.cx/