i am enjoying this thread. i invite anyone interested to look at web site:
touchstones.org  to learn more about a method that my colleagues and i are
using in all types of classrooms in haiti and the US. we use this in
elementary, middle and highschools as well as in universities and, with
adults who are learning to read and write. in the US, it is also being used
in prisons and in retirement centers.

we find that children and adults in haiti in particular, are quicker to
seize the opportunity that open space offers when they have had some
experiences with touchstones. bear in mind that leadership in haitian
culture is almost always extremely authoritative.

touchstones, like open space, takes a completely different approach to
leadership and authority. what is unique about touchstones is that it was
developed to accomplish this within the classroom setting.

john

http://www.beyondborders.net/experiment.htm

http://search.msn.fr/worldwide.asp