G'day Raffi

Good on you for putting out a very tough situation.  Although it seems you
are in a very tight spot, and although I don't have war and terrorist acts
raging a round me, these same situations occur in my work even when overtly
there is no obvious violence. To take open space literally I call this
"closed space."  Other people either forcing their agenda on others or
others seeking some "authority" to tell them what to do. This can be done
with a gun or people simply "pulling rank" on you. The fear or anger this
engenders feels the same.

There are no easy or pat answers to what you are experiencing.  But your
willingness to open space is a great start. By encouraging of others to take
responsibility, and the personal witness of your own way of being has larger
ramifications than you will ever realise.

I have a colleague who has a very adversarial way of dealing with people. I
have felt at times like I'm literally in a boxing match as she trys to
"point score" in a conversation. I have tried to maintain my integrity in
this situation because being of a fiery nature (Irish, redhead, left handed
etc.) my natural bent is to engage in sparring. I have found by speaking my
truth and taking action on things I have concern about, that a lot of this
posturing on her part is futile. She has been keen for me to take
responsibility for her concerns.  But when allowed to take that
responsibility herself she defaults every time.

I, like you, am working for a largely closed organisation. I see my role as
opening space wherever I can with the communities we work  with (we are an
environmental outfit) and within the organisation itself.  Believe you me
although I'm not literally dodging bullets, it feels that way at times when
I come up against ego and power games in our organisation.

I don't know if any of this is helping. All I would really like to say is BE
an open space where you are; this can't help but ripple out!

All the very best. I am with you in opening space.

Mike Copeland