Re: Timing for really large groupsWhy go to the Wall? I think there are
practical and symbolic reasons (and symbols help us create our reality -- they
are IMPORTANT). The practical ones include putting people in proximity with
each other so that they can negotiate times, combine sessions, seek
understanding as to what the convener had in mind... and a whole mess more. The
notion of putting signup sheets at the place of meeting would work with very
small groups, I guess, but with anything more than 100 people I think you would
have even more confusion that by going to the wall. And of course, when you
place a sign that says This group will meet here -- it is implied that the
group will actually meet. However, when a sign goes up on the wall that only
expresses an intention -- which may be changed to a different time, a different
place, or even a different subject. In fact it may be changed out of existence.
 In short a whole mess of really good and essential things take place at the
Wall.

Seen through the eyes of a "standard conference organizer" -- I grant you the
whole thing appears chaotic, disorderly, and a real mess. It might also seem to
be very inefficient. Much better to have everything in proper order with clear
procedure. But I think it is worth while to notice how efficient it really is.
When  Michael Pannwitz and I did our gathering of 2008 -- all those folks
sorted out the issues (236 of them) and themselves in about 20 minutes. If all
of that had been done with the aid of a facilitator, it might have taken a week
or so. And I don't think I am exaggerating. There is a large group process
called Technology of Participation (TOP) which filters everything through the
facilitator, can only work with much smaller groups, and for my impatient soul
just seems to go on and on and on. At the end of which the facilitator is
exhausted, and the people have expended several hours doing what could have
taken place in 20 min or less.

But for me the most compelling reason to "Go to the Wall" is symbolic. When
300, or better 2000 people charge that wall, the facilitator is definitely out
of the picture. The point is made graphically, emotionally, kinesthetically --
that The People are in charge. And all those folks who have been convinced by
training, prior experience, or whatever -- that The People left to themselves
(that is without the careful attention of a controlling manager/facilitator)
can only end up in destructive chaos -- discover that despite their direst
predictions that the People can do it. And while the Doubting Thomases, control
freaks and other nervous sorts are muttering, "This can never work" -- it is
already working. In fact, unless they mutter very quickly, it has already
Worked! And everything is just rolling out. I think this experience may be one
of the most valuable gained in Open Space. Obviously not everybody is pleased
or convinced, after all -- if what just happened, happened with some
regularity, a lot of folks who make their living controlling/managing other
folks might have to seek alternate employment.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854