Harrison -

You wrote;
Lisa -- I have tried the multiple mikes, but always ran into the problem
you faced. It is hard to tell who is speaking next. So I have gone back
to a single mike, and I hold it. It doesn't slow the process down at all
-- people just queue up. And frankly the long queue is part of the
"theatrics" -- Also if I have the only mike it is much easier to deal
with the incipient and actual speech makers. Dare I say it? -- Control
the situation. . .

Hmmmm (I say with a smile) - can this really be Harrison.talking about
*control* ???

Often in smaller groups (up to 100 or less) when I invite people to post
topics I put down the microphone in the center of the circle and go sit
down in the circle.  To me it is like an 'it's all about you now, not
me' moment.

In larger groups I find it's all about traffic, sound and focus - and I
try to find ways to assist in that as I think about design, talk to the
audio technicians at the site, and so on.  Definitely when I have used
more than one mike  I have added visuals like those globes to show the
group who's talking next (and the assistants holding mikes know they are
taking turns in a clockwise direction).  If there's one microphone (I
most often choose the 1 mike approach) I stay in the center of the
circle to hold the microphone - though I notice I tend to sit on the
ground to provide focus to the person standing up to announce.

It makes me feel like a little flower holding up a microphone blossom to
the sunshine of their announcement.

Lisa
___________________________
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e
2325 Oregon
Berkeley, California
94705-1106   USA
+01 510 548-8449
 <mailto:lisah...@openingspace.net> lisah...@openingspace.net
 <http://www.openingspace.net> www.openingspace.net

osl...@listserv.boisestate.edu ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
osl...@listserv.boisestate.edu:
OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: