What HO points to works especially well when I as facilitator dont have a clue to what the participants are talking about, if, for instance they speak in tongues other than English or German. Now, the trick for the facilitator, me or whoever, for not suddenly being in the position of "space invador" (gads!) is to simply not listen to the content of what people are saying. Do listen to the din in the room, folks whispering their issues...etc. as a basis for maybe, maybe, maybe intervening regarding the "frame". I have another trick for this: closing my eyes when I feel the urge to intervene and count slowly to 10 (takes about 17 seconds)... in most cases someone (the "system") will intervene long before I reach "10" with an observation, remark, plea... such as:
"Please step up to the microphone so I can hear you"
"Could you speak up a bit"
"When several of you are talking while someone speaks on his issue I cant understand a thing"

Sometimes, someone will also come to me (I stand outside the circle during posting of issues) and suggest I do something to reduce the chatter (or do this or that). My response is something like "walk up to he mike and speak to this point to everyone"... after a millisecond of shock, the person that came up to me smiles and walks over to the mike (sometimes someone else had the same idea and already is addressing the crowd.

I know that many of you out there have experienced stuff like this. Lets hear about it.

Greetings from Berlin
mmp