Over time I added or updated a lot of trails (foot / cycle / bridle paths).
 waymarkedtrails.org shows no trails in my area on perhaps because they do
not have national trail designation.  I am aware of many great hikes in my
area which I have been marking with "trailhead", and I would love to see
similar suggestions from others.

Searching for trails: on a recent visit to US National Parks, there was not
mobile data connection (no live connection to waymarkedtrails). I am armed
with powerful OsmAnd app, yet I rarely get meaningful search results for
nearby trails.  We have a disconnect...

The first place I learned about "highway=trailhead" tag was on "US National
Park Service Tagging"
wiki: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/US_National_Park_Service_Tagging
If NPS thinks they should tag trail heads, why shouldn't we?

I do understand that the shortcoming is coming from lack of approved OSM
tag.  Since OSM has tags for such minute things as pedestrian crossing and
railroad crossing, there is parity in marking good/suggested/official
places to pickup a hiking trail, whether it is national or very local.

I wish I knew how to bring OSM proposal trailhead to maturity:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/trailhead
If the tag was official, it would make sense to start adding those tags to
existing trails, despite it being rarely used at this time:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/highway=trailhead

Many thanks for your feedback.