Being a driver I use OsmAnd+ on a daily basis and in my opinion it is the most
versatile and reach in useful options application from those which are based on
offline OSM maps. I use it also as a hill-walker, a cyclist or a pedestrian
wanting to find a specific place in a unknown area. I generally like the idea
behind OSM maps, i.e. they are free to use and free to contribute what I
modestly do from time to time.
Unfortunately rendering speed is, beeing polite, only satisfactory. Or maybe
slightly below. I hoped that things will improve on a new phone but
dissapointingly despite three times better benchmark results it's even worse.
This can be in part explained by bigger number of pixels in the new phone's
screen.
I installed some other OSM apps to compare speed and sadly I found that they
render and zoom in and out quicker, pan more smoothly while driving, even in 3D
mode. I tried Magic Earth, MAPS.ME, MapFactor Navigator, Sygic GPS Navigation,
Galileo and few others which I deleted too quickly to memorize their names.
It would be great to see improvements in this area some day but for now could
someone advise any solutions? Am I missing something? Or is OsmAnd simply
slow-ish?
Regards,
Michal