Being a driver I use OsmAnd+ on a daily basis and in my opinion it is the
most versatile and reach in useful features application from those which
are based on offline OSM maps. I use it also as a hill-walker, a cyclist or
a pedestrian wanting to find a specific place in a unknown area. I
generally like the idea behind OSM maps, i.e. they are free to use and free
to contribute what I modestly do from time to time.
Unfortunately rendering speed is, being polite, only satisfactory. Or maybe
slightly below. I hoped that things will improve on a new phone but
disappointingly despite three times better benchmark results it's even
worse. This can be in part explained by bigger number of pixels in the new
phone's screen.
I installed some other OSM apps to compare speed and sadly I found that
they render and zoom in and out quicker, pan more smoothly while driving,
even in 3D mode. I tried Magic Earth, MAPS.ME <http://maps.me/>, MapFactor
Navigator, Sygic GPS Navigation, Galileo and few others which I deleted too
quickly to memorize their names.
It would be great to see improvements in this area some day but for now
could someone advise any solutions? Am I missing something? Or is OsmAnd
simply slow-ish?
Regards,
Michal