Nick,

Have you bothered to look at the faq pages on the web?  It says;

*Text search* There are different ways to use text search. You can enter
the name of the city, then street and building or just city/village and
building (for smaller villages and places with no clear street division).
If you do not find the result you need, tap 'Find more' to increase search
radius.

The clue here is precede what you are looking for with the city.
You can find this information here
<http://osmand.net/features?id=find-something-on-map>.

Please everyone stop whining about the search function. It works fine.
My 2c