I didn't read the FAQ no but I was aware that you can prefix the city.

When searching for a street, it includes the city in the search as well.
Sure it's limiting the results to that city but more often than not the
result in looking for is near the bottom of a long list, and if I've
pressed increase search radius, even longer.

I had been entering the post code which 99% of the time yields the street I
am looking for as the first result (sometimes the postcode provided to me
is incorrect), but now with the legacy search, i can search for a street
name, restricted to a city, without including that city name in the search.
The street I'm looking for is usually the first result.

So given a choice of searching through a list of stuff that's not actually
what I need and just getting the result I want quickly?

The text search does work fine, you are not wrong. I came here for help. I
got it and then I also get told to rtfm. Thanks for the input.