I was a hold out for quite a while.
Finally got a smart phone last year.
One of the first apps I fell in love with is OsmAnd 2.8.2.
The app is now up to 3.2.6.

And lately I've experimented with Cruiser 1.4.30.
Cruiser is interesting in that it answers the question
of how simple can an app be and still do exactly what
you want and does it very well. This app does require
little setup but with my background that was not an issue
but for the average person it might be difficult.

I threw away my two Magellan GPS units but they
gave 5 good years of service.

My kids give me there old phones and I just turn
them into great GPS units. No cell service or wifi
needed. Fresh maps every month. Keep them updated
with my laptop. I'm kicking my self for waiting so long
to make the switch. Don't ever through out an old phone,
just use it as a tablet(the wifi still works!)

Kevin