Re #11 For me, the contour lines best fulfill the function of seeing the
steepness of a path when no route is specified.  In addition, there's the
new Terrain/Slope layer, though that's more an indicator of the steepness
of the surrounding area. (A path at the bottom of a steep canyon, for
example, may still rise only gradually.)

All that said, I really like the altitude profile you get from defining a
route. It's the clearest indicator of the walk/ride ahead.