On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 05:44:00PM +0100, Tom Crocker wrote:
Hi Francesco

3+4) I'd like it if the tags of ways and areas could be shown on osmand, as
they are for nodes. I expect it's about keeping the interface usable for
the average user.

It may have more to do with keeping the size of the map files down. OSMAnd is a navigation app, not a general OpenStreetMap data viewing/editing app (for that, there is Vespucci, http://vespucci.io/, which allows viewing/editing *all* of the underlying OSM data).

There is a lot of data tagged in OSM that has no impact for routing purposes, and I suspect that tag data in OSM that is not necessary for routing is omitted when building the OSMAnd map data files (both to keep them smaller, and to speed up access on phones). If this is the case, then OSMAnd will never be able to show the details that Vespucci can, simply because it does not have all of the underlying OSM data available.

With the above said, I can see the usefulness of being able to view some form of "advanced details" about the various items OSMAnd's maps do contain, if for no other reason than a quick verification of "is some (routing relevant) data missing here...".

So if Francesco would like to float this suggestion by the OSMAnd devs, he should register it on the OSMAnd Github tracker here:

https://github.com/osmandapp/Osmand/issues