Thank you Tom, Bart and Xavier for these answers, they really did help!

My question #11 was, I realize, silly: of course steepness depends on
route, and so the existing altitude profile for a route, will be enough
*slap face*!

And for #3,#4: if Vespucci exists as an app to tap into all underlying
details in OSM, I wouldn't necessarily propose to burden OSMAnd with this,
as I'm sure the devs have already considered it.