Hi Frederik, hi everybody,

just a random thought: what's wrong with using --dataset-bounding-box? Importing the planet file into a database and doing a bunch of queries against is equivalent to creating a single disk buffer for all bb tasks (the database _is_ the disk buffer, if you want). This still isn't very elegant as it requires two passes (import into DB and export to PBFs) but is IMHO more elegant than selection lists.

I think a solution with selection lists that wouldn't eat up 20 or more GB of RAM (the planet file won't shrink anytime soon, rather it will get bigger) would require you to implement something like a database anyway. So, why not use one that's already implemented and tested and so on? :)

Don't get me wrong, maybe there's a reason why dataset tasks are unsuitable - but I've not found any... Maybe the dbb task itself needs improvement - but in this case, this should be the way to go.

Best regards
Igor