On 2/18/2011 7:24 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
Provided that applying a minutely diff (possily even while the extraction requests are running) does indeed take less than a minute. Which, I repeat myself, I believe to be unlikely.

  Frederik, André,

I have been playing with this lately on a machine that has 4 cores and 8GB of RAM. The DB is stored on a RAID0 array on 3x200Gb physical disks (I do not remember the I/O performance of the RAID array and do not have access to the machine ATM). It took me 7 days (give or take a couple hours) to import the planet. I then began to apply the daily diffs and it took me 17 hours for each of the first ones. I stopped at that point as assuming the import time is constant it would take a month to have an up-to-date DB.

I did not give a try to the minutely diffs yet.

  My 2c,

N.