Igor,

On 02/18/11 11:40, Igor Podolskiy wrote:
just a random thought: what's wrong with using --dataset-bounding-box?
Importing the planet file into a database and doing a bunch of queries
against is equivalent to creating a single disk buffer for all bb tasks
(the database _is_ the disk buffer, if you want). This still isn't very
elegant as it requires two passes (import into DB and export to PBFs)
but is IMHO more elegant than selection lists.

I currently use bounding polygons so I'd have to add a --dataset-bounding-polygon task for that but that should be possible.

The major problem is finding a database that would be able to import the data, index it, and fulfil my requests, all within less than 24 hours. From what I hear, PostGIS takes a week for the import step alone but I want to produce fresh extracts every day. So I would have to import into PostGIS and then apply the daily diffs, but I could only do that if applying a daily diff and making all the bounding-polygon requests would take much less than a day and somehow I suspect that's not going to work.

Don't get me wrong, maybe there's a reason why dataset tasks are
unsuitable - but I've not found any... Maybe the dbb task itself needs
improvement - but in this case, this should be the way to go.

I doubt that a performant solution can ever be found with PostGIS but I'd love to hear from someone who can prove me wrong.

Bye
Frederik