2013/4/17 Emil Tin <z...@tmf.kk.dk>

>  ** **
>
> Divider=* was jsut a proposal, but it’s abandoned, and tag is not widely
> used. ****

yes, just a proposal. This "abandoned" status has nothing much to say,
there was a wiki fiddler who set all proposals to abandoned which weren't
voted on some time after the proposal was last modified.

IMHO for how stuff is done in OSM it doesn't really matter whether there is
a proposal or an "approved" tag, what matters is whether the tag is in use.
Setting a proposal to abandoned should be reserved to the mapper who wrote
the proposal (i.e. he made up his mind and discovered that the proposal
doesn't work, and it isn't used by others the same time), as long as he is
active. It doesn't really make sense to discourage usage of a tag simply
for formal reasons (it wasn't voted upon in a certain period of time), in
fact I have set some proposals to active which are widely used which the
same wiki fiddler had set to abandoned.

Now you are right, the divider tag isn't widely used, but I think this is
kind of a hen / egg problem. As long as no routing engine processes this
tag, people aren't interested in using it (it also isn't rendered, which is
the main incentive for many mappers to use a tag). AFAIK there is no
alternative proposal to map the divider, so for me if I want to map a
divider this is the tag to do so.

cheers,
Martin