2013/4/17 Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk>

> As a matter of interest, in Countries where it is illegal to turn across
> a solid line, for there to be a junction without a break in the line?

usually at junctions there are no solid lines, at the most there will be
interrupted lines or no lines at all (or when there are solid lines it
would indeed be forbidden to turn at the junction).

> I have driven in a lot of European countries and have noticed that there
> are gaps in solid lines for every driveway. I have never come across a
> situation where a turn is prevented by a line.

there are lots of these situations, but there are also lots of
interruptions for driveways, gasstations etc., yes.

Example crossing out of town where you can't turn:
http://maps.google.de/maps?hl=de&ll=41.349801,13.75293&spn=0.013482,0.027788&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.349827,13.753092&panoid=0dBb2Nn9tjfBufqt37g6xw&cbp=12,94.59,,0,23.63

> This proposal would also need routers to understand the law in different
> countries.

yes, at least if you wanted to handle also the stranger cases like the UK
which allows turning on single solid lines. In Germany for instance I am
not aware of any difference between a single and a double solid line (I
think usually you get double lines close to situations where one of the
double lines gets dashed, hence allowing crossing the double line only when
coming from this side).

cheers,
Martin