it appears that the problem of single/double/dashed lines is neither easy to
tag nor easy to use programmatically. In my opinion the easiest way to handle
this kind of data is to map turn restrictions.

Here's how OSRM handles U-turns and turn restrictions. Generally, U-turns are
forbidden with one exception: At the end of a dead-end street to be able to
leave if you place a via point on the street. Apart from that, all turns are
allowed if not explicitly forbidden by restrictions. This kind of modeling is
also used elsewhere in other commercial routing application (without saying
names).

This modeling has the advantage that double/single/dashed lines need to be
handled only at intersections. IMHO, it is much easier to allow/forbid the
turns at intersections explicitly as given by line markings on the ground. Even
if we had some nice and easy way to tag those lines, it would not actually save
orders of magnitude of data to process.

--Dennis