On Mon, 2018-09-17 at 01:41 +0300, Nadav Har'El wrote:
> I have a wild guess, but I'm not a big clock expert, and I'm CCing
> Glauber who might have better ideas.
>
> My guess is that you have ntp running in the *host*, but not in the
> guest (we don't have an ntp client for OSv), and somehow this is
> causing this drift in wall-clock time between the two. My guess (and
> again, this is a guess, I don't know if that's true), that the
> adjtime / adjtimex / ntp_adjtime or whatever system call that ntp
> uses to gradually adjust the time in the host, doesn't cause the same
> adjustment to be propagated to the guest by the paravirtual clock
> mechanism (which probably relies on the clock frequency being fixed,
> while adjtime tweaks it a bit).

So I'm on a boat, and no NTP server - however you seem to have nailed
it.

> You can verify this guess by stopping the ntpd/chronyd demon in the
> host and seeing if the drift remains or goes away.

I turned off the systemd timesync (timedatectl set-ntp off) and now it
all works perfectly.

> I tried to look on Google if my guess has any merit, and something
> which surprised me is that a lot of people suggest running ntpd on
> *both* host and guest. But if running ntpd on the host alone would
> have magically cause the guest's clock to also be accurate, why would
> anyone recommend running ntpd on the guest? So maybe the guest indeed
> misses the ntpd adjustments from the host? I couldn't find anyone
> discussing this. Maybe Glauber remembers something on this.

So now I need to find out what on earth the systemd service is doing -
as clearly its the root cause for my problem. Secondly I need to find
out what I can run on the host to keep the time in sync in a sane way
such that the guest OSv processes do not drift.

I'll check to see what the deployed service is using in terms of time
synchronisation...

Rick