Hello Ann:

Thank you for your response.  It is giving me much to think about.  I think
many of your comments are 100% right and present concepts and ideas which I
have over looked.

Ron

~~~~~~
On Tuesday, April 9, 2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Dac> In a message dated 4/9/2002 8:09:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Dac> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Dac> Ron writes:
>> I don't think it will come as a big surprise to most that there's something
>> "wrong" with the profession of OT.  To me the biggest symptom of this
>> "wrongness" is the fact that we've been in existence for almost 100 years
>> and people still don't know who we are.

Dac> Ron,  Do you know what people who are Geodesists do?  How about Industrial
Dac> Hygienists, system analysts, conservators, archivists, etc. etc.  I don't
Dac> agree that people not knowing what we do is necessarily indicative of some
Dac> huge "wrong" within our profession.  Nor do I think that the fact that we
Dac> work in very different settings, drawing on different aspects of our
Dac> theoretical training means that we are not being true to OT.  Nurses work in
Dac> all different types of medical and residential settings, in schools, doctor's
Dac> offices, insurance companies, psychiatrist's offices, information systems
Dac> departments, the list goes on and on.  How they function in each of those
Dac> settings, and what particular theories they draw on differ significantly in
Dac> those very different settings.  Nobody questions that each one is still a
Dac> nurse.
Dac> This ongoing complaint seems to be more of internal making than an external
Dac> problem.  The doctors who refer to our outpatient program know what we as
Dac> OT's do; the rest of the interdisciplinary team in which I work respect our
Dac> contribution to the patient's recovery.  When I worked in school systems and
Dac> Head Start programs, the teachers valued the contribution we made to the
Dac> children's development.  Does every doctor, teacher, insurance reviewer,
Dac> potential OT client know or value what we do?  No.  Does every OT practise OT
Dac> the way I would like to see it practised, or in a manner consistent with the
Dac> roots of OT?  No.  Does that mean that the majority of us are not practising
Dac> "true" OT?  NO.  I respect the school system OT, the OT who is also a CHT,
Dac> the OT working in the various medical models, the private practise OT, the
Dac> psych OT, the ones reaching out for emerging practise areas in
Dac> non-traditional settings.  Each one is taking a different approach based on a
Dac> variety of treatment approaches and theories, most of which are quite valid.
Dac> The former governor of NY, Mario Cuomo, is often quoted by a local public
Dac> radio personality as saying "any jackass can knock down a barn"(I think Cuomo
Dac> is actually quoting someone else - maybe Truman).  I think it is more
Dac> productive to discuss ways in which we can promote the diversity within our
Dac> profession, rather than having an ongoing lament about something "wrong" with
Dac> the profession.  How do we let people know what's RIGHT with our profession,
Dac> rather than complain amongst ourselves about what's wrong with us.  I'm proud
Dac> to be an OT, and that is the message I carry to those with whom I interact.
> [...]

Unsubscribe? Send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In the message's *body*, put the following text: unsubscribe OTlist

** List messages are archived at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/otlist@otnow.com