Protecting the OT scope of practice in state law is the top priority for AOTA's State
Affairs Group.  We assist state OT association defend against encroachment as well as
make changes to their existing definition of OT practice in statute.   In 1999 the
Representative Assembly adopted a revised definition of OT practice for the AOTA Model
Practice Act.  Since then it has be written into a number of state OT laws.  I've
pasted the definition below.  I anticipate if the new OT framework is adopted this
year that the definition will be revised.

In addition to scope of practice, we view access to OT to be very important as well.
Some states have physician referral requirements in the OT law.  We believe that there
should be exceptions to this rule for OTs that work in new practice areas or
educational systems.  We also believe that referral should not be limited to
physicians for instance, that referrals should be expanded to include other
practitioners such as optometrists.   With this in mind we are assisting state OT
associations to amend their practice acts and change the referral requirements.

These issues are covered in the Capital Briefing column of AOTA's OT Practice magazine
if you need more information.

Chuck

***************
Definition of OT Practice for the AOTA Model Practice Act
(A) The "Practice of Occupational Therapy" means the therapeutic use of purposeful and
meaningful occupations (goal-directed activities) to evaluate and treat individuals
who have a disease or disorder, impairment, activity limitation, or participation
restriction which interferes with their ability to function independently in daily
life roles, and to promote health and wellness.  Occupational therapy intervention may
include:

(1) remediation or restoration of performance abilities that are limited due to
impairment in biological, physiological, psychological or neurological processes.
(2) adaptation of task, process or the environment, or the teaching of compensatory
techniques, in order to enhance performance.
(3) disability prevention methods and techniques which facilitate the development or
safe application of performance skills.
(4) health promotion strategies and practices which enhance performance abilities.

(B)   "Occupational therapy services" include, but are not limited to:

(1) evaluating, developing, improving, sustaining or restoring skills in activities of
daily living (ADLs), work or productive activities, including instrumental activities
of daily living (IADLs), and play and leisure activities.
(2) evaluating, developing, remediating, or restoring sensorimotor, cognitive, or
psychosocial components of performance.
(3) designing, fabricating, applying, or training in the use of assistive technology
or orthotic devices, and training in the use of prosthetic devices.
(4) adaptation of environments and processes, including the application of ergonomic
principles, to enhance performance and safety in daily life roles.
(5) application of physical agent modalities as an adjunct to or in preparation for
engagement in occupations.
(6) evaluating and providing intervention in collaboration with the client, family,
caregiver, or others.
(7) educating the client, family, caregiver, or others in carrying out appropriate
nonskilled interventions.
(8) consulting with groups, programs, organizations, or communities to provide
population-based services.

Adopted by the Representative Assembly 4/16/99 (1999M10)

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/23/02 12:11PM >>>
I am curious to know if AOTA is taking any steps or planning on taking any steps to
preserve, expand and/or reiterate legislatively the scope of practice of OT in the
U.S.  To my mind doing so becomes particularly important in view of the erosion of
jobs in the SNF sector; as well as the underemployment of OTs throughout the U.S.,
particularly those who are not employed in the hospital-based sector.

Thanks in advance,

Biraj