Caryn,

  You are right - corporate America (at least in America) has defined OT
practice and it is not OT.

Caryn Carson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I know... get the names of all the professors at this school and you
guys could email them the otnow link (only half joking). I often
wonder, not being an OT, only married to one, why is it that this
profession is so misunderstood? I would like to tell of an experience
with OT of my own. There is a young lady at my church that had an AVM.
She is still partially paralyzed in her right side. (Please forgive any
medical terminology errors). Anyway, she was doing outpatient rehab, OT
and PT. I volunteered to help in rides for her to therapy. I asked
her, what exactly is OT doing to help you re-learn how to cook, clean,
and take care of you children (she had a 3 month old when this all
happened), you know what her reply was? WORKING WITH CONES!! I said,
what the heck? Aren't they working with you to help you with your goals
of parenting? She said, that is how they are doing it. I asked if it
seemed like it was helping and she said she couldn't really answer me.
Fast forward 6 + months, she is now doing accupuncture, and outpatient
rehab OT/PT. She believes the accupuncture has helped her the most.
Anyway, I asked about the current therapy and they are still not working
on occupational deficits, only UE exercises. Now realize, she has
received therapy from 3 different rehab companies (major therapy corps)
and not one of them has worked with her on OT. Of course, Ron has
offered his services, but since he doesn't take her insurance, she
doesn't have the funds and won't let him do it free. I get so
frustrated, I have been so tempted to talk to the OT while I am waiting
to pick her up, but I know these cattle companies only want the OT's
doing it the way they see as most cost effective. I really feel for you
guys and wish there was an easy answer, but with the larger companies
running the show, I don't know if it will ever be practiced (as a whole)
in the way it was created.

Caryn