Ron,

The  OT "culture" of UE domain is far too widespread and we should all
be  concerned.  When  the  general public primarily describes us as UE
therapists  there,  as  you noted, is a large discrepancy between what
AOTA presents and what we are seeing and doing as therapists.

I  wonder how PT's feel about their label as LE therapists. I've never
heard them respond when it occurs.

On a positive note, I had a great OT moment the other day. A physician
came  by  our  gym  one  morning  and asked if the therapists would be
available  around 8:30 or so. Rresident physicians  would be coming in
and he  would  like  to  bring them to see rehab. To make a long story
short  (they  stayed  for  20  to 30 minutes), this physician asked us
questions  and kept emphasizing what OT does. His explanation centered
on purposeful   therapeutic   activity.   He   stated  that  they,  as
physicians,  should  consider  this  and  try  to  remember that their
patients  are  individuals with lives that are very complex........you
get  the  idea.  I  WAS  SO  IMPRESSED.  My jaw was on the floor and I
thanked him for his knowledge and appreciation of OT.

Here's  the  other good note. Students today are being taught OT as it
should  be  and hopefully they (we) will be aware of the difficulty of
falling  into  the  old  patterns  that  we see in our profession. The
reason I say this about today's students is that the physician I spoke
with told me later that his daughter is working on her OT degree. That
explains the jaw dropping knowledge he had but it's great to know that
his  daughter is a an OT advocate and she, along with others will join
us  in  this field and hopefully help move our profession in the right
direction.

Angie