"Enabling Occupation: An Occupational Therapy Perspective"

----- Original Message -----
From: bbh1...@comcast.net <bbh1...@comcast.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009
To:   OTlist@OTnow.com <OTlist@OTnow.com>
Subj: [OTlist] The Saddest OT Statement I've Ever Heard

bcn> What was the book???

bcn> I DO try to focus my tx around  the patient's needs/desires.
bcn> Remediating underlying issues often DOES involve balance and
bcn> strengthening, especially when you are working with the elderly
bcn> whose main concern when coming into tx is debilitation and
bcn> weakness.  Anxiety is also often a barrier as well as motivation -
bcn> do they really want to do for themselves or have they succombed to
bcn> the cultural prejudice of "you're old and so you just can't do as
bcn> much anymore."  The goals I work on with people are often pretty
bcn> basic - can you dress, wash and toilet on your own, and is it safe to do
so.

bcn> Productivity is a HUGE issue.  If I have to see 12 patients in a
bcn> day, most of whom have an average of 50 minutes (their RUG level
bcn> according to the Medicare system), I don't have much time to plan
bcn> individual tx's.  Regardless, I really try to do this, contrived
bcn> activities and all.  Filling up 50 minutes of tx time when you have
bcn> to work multiple patients and save time for documentation is a
bcn> challenge, even when I use the contrived activities.  I do my best
bcn> to choose on the basis of the specific goals of the patient, and
bcn> attempt most days to schedule tx times so that I can work with
bcn> people who have similar/same issues so that I'm not just providing
bcn> busy work for one while I work with the other.  Many people have
bcn> combined balance and UE limitations which make it extremely
bcn> difficult to find any activity to do with them, functional or not.

bcn> One thing I do accomplish with most patients is meaningful
bcn> interaction.  This is an effective way to find out what their
bcn> needs/desires are.  I say this because it is difficult to do when
bcn> you feel "rushed" to see many people at one time and to keep up
bcn> with what you are doing with each.  Other therapists do not take
bcn> the "time" to do this, and sometimes come to me for help in
bcn> motivating a "difficult" patient.  I don't say this as a criticism.
bcn> I understand exactly the pressure they work under.

bcn> Hence my obsession with concrete suggestions.  And I mean concrete
bcn> as in... what did you do with patient x to address issues x, y and
bcn> z.  I understand the overarching philosophical importance of
bcn> functional tx, but it is difficult to be a purist when the work
bcn> environment makes so many other demands of you, demands that must
bcn> be met to appease Medicare and your supervisors.  Unfortunately, I
bcn> need a job.  And I do like working in rehab.  I just need to find a
bcn> way to juggle all these variables in a way that serves the patient
bcn> best.  I am looking for a different position, but in Michigan, that takes
time.

bcn> Thanks for listening,

bcn> Barb Howard

bcn> ----- Original Message -----
bcn> From: "Ron Carson" <rdcar...@otnow.com>
bcn> To: "bbh1...@comcast.net" <OTlist@OTnow.com>
bcn> Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 3:24:42 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
bcn> Subject: Re: [OTlist] The Saddest OT Statement I've Ever Heard

bcn> Barb,  I want to offer a suggestion. In my early days as an OT, I worked
bcn> in adult rehab. It was VERY faced paced and therapists generally had 2 -
bcn> 3  patient's  hour.  In the beginning, I was stuck in the peg, cone, etc
bcn> routine, but one day I read a book that changed my practice.

bcn> I changed my practice pattern from UE/ADL to occupation-based treatment.
bcn> In  this approach, a patients occupational needs/desires become the ONLY
bcn> reason  for  treatment. In the absence of occupational problems that are
bcn> improvable, there is no role for OT.

bcn> This  approach 100% clarified my treatment for both myself and patients.
bcn> I  no  longer  wondered  what  to  do  with  patients. Suddenly, I began
bcn> stepping  away  from  typical OT activity and began addressing patient's
bcn> most  important  needs.  My  treatment boundaries greatly expanded and I
bcn> began feeling much better about my treatments.

bcn> No longer did I do "contrived" OT treatment, instead I addressed the the
bcn> ACTUAL  needs  of  the patients. Since you asked for concrete ideas here
bcn> they are:

bcn> 1. Identify client's needs/desires

bcn> 2. Identify why the can't do these things

bcn> 3. Direct 100% of your treatment to:

bcn>         a. Remediating underlying issues

bcn>         b. Compensating for uncorrectable problems

bcn>         c. Changing environments

bcn> Forget  made up activities, forget games and other silly things. YOU CAN
bcn> DO THIS!

bcn> Ron

bcn> --
bcn> Ron Carson MHS, OT
bcn> www.OTnow.com

bcn> ----- Original Message -----
bcn> From: bbh1...@comcast.net <bbh1...@comcast.net>
bcn> Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009
bcn> To:   OTlist@OTnow.com <OTlist@OTnow.com>
bcn> Subj: [OTlist] The Saddest OT Statement I've Ever Heard

bcn>> Thanks, Sue, for providing some specifics.  I understand the need
bcn>> for functional tx that is specific to the patient!  I just need
bcn>> some more specific, concrete ideas about how others do this in the
bcn>> clinic environment.  With productivity demands it is even difficult
bcn>> for me to spend time in a patient's room alone with them.  I seem
bcn>> to be the ONLY OT in my department who takes the time to do ADLs with
some of my patients.

bcn>> So I am looking for more concrete ideas and less philosophical
bcn>> ranting.  I do get that part.  I know venting is necessary
bcn>> sometimes, but I joined this list to get more specific ideas to
bcn>> help with my tx planning and so that is why I asked the question.

bcn>> Thanks,

bcn>> Barb Howard COTA

bcn>> ----- Original Message -----
bcn>> From: "Sue Doyle" <sue...@hotmail.com>
bcn>> To: otlist@otnow.com
bcn>> Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 7:46:09 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
bcn>> Subject: Re: [OTlist] The Saddest OT Statement I've Ever Heard

bcn>> I am the lead therapist in an inpatient rehab center. We focus on the
bcn>> clients goals and predominantly use functional tasks. Even spent the
bcn>> afternoon knitting and compiling emails with a patient. I have a
bcn>> carburetor that I have had out several times for some of the men to
bcn>> work on as their goal has been to go back to working on their car.

bcn>> Sue D