Ron, Ilene, and Mary Alice and the rest of you

I   love   reading   this  listserv  and  enjoy  your  comments...though
somedays reading  it  makes  me  want  to quit my OT career and join the
Circus   or  start  that  pumpkin  carving  business...(maybe  not...too
seasonal for steady cash flow!;))

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

MARY  ALICE:  I  wanted  to  respond  to  you because you have such good
comments  and  DON"T  STOP contributing...I agree with you that patients
come  to  rehab  and  have  a  lot  of  preconcieved  notions about what
efforts/methods  will  create  what  results,  they  think  "I just need
strengthening"  or  "  I  just  need  to  walk"..  they  don't  make the
connections about the rehab process that we know so well. So much of the
challenge  is  to  educated people on the process of  OT, addressing the
goals.  This  requires very good communication skills on the part of the
OT.  Pt's  with  chronic  illnesses  or  even subacute health issues are
reluctant  to attempt the process of adapting to their condition because
of  denial  of the loss function. They really are in phase of wanting to
FIX  IT  NOW   back to normal. As we know this is not always possible or
realistic.  OTs  are  superior  to  most  other  professions at teaching
adaptation  to  "Enable  Occupation".  In some cases we fix things in an
innovative  and  effective  way.The  disadvantage is in the  OT concepts
where ,of   course   ,we   know   that   occupation   is   that  complex
multifactorial phenomena  that  is  the essence of performing daily life
and  is  so  much  a  part of our lives, and so individually subjective.
Peeple don't think about it in the same terms we describe it in but they
often get the connection when we do our jobs well. It is a tough job but
rewarding.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

RON:   I related so well to your well written response to Ilene (Message
4,2/21/09),  I  have  a similar history to you and worked in the SNFs in
the  late  1990's,  but woe is me... I still do today. As you stated the
business  model  doesn't foster the best that OT can be as a profession.
It is very inflexible and stifles innovation, creativity, and quality in
favor  of  effeciency,  profit,  and bureaucratic compliance to Medicare
rules  and regs which set the system up to be as lame as it is. Some how
I have found a way continue in this practice setting for almost 15 years
and have sought out the most high quality employers and facilities with
a  bit  of  luck  had  good  results.  But  I  too am growing VERY WEARY
of all the issues you so effectively stated.  I even spent one week as a
Rehab  Manager  and  quit..it  made  me  physically  ill, tried o/p hand
therapy  for  6months  and  was  quite  unsatisfied. I  have  thought of
leaving the  SNF setting, but every now and then I get a patient or case
or  two  that  goes  so  well and is so satisfying that it draws me back
in...it's  like  trying  to  leave  the  Mafia :), Ron do you think home
health is the best OT practice setting?

<>><><><><><><>><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>><><><><><><><

 ILENE:  I  could  totally  relate  to  you  comments about SNF and goal
 setting and treatment ideas. Isn't this such a challenging population.
 SPEAKING  OF  THEORIES:My  theory  is that people who know the value of
 occupation  to  health  status "practice what they preach" in that they
 engage  in  meaningful occupations and enjoy a high quality of life and
 health  status, and when they do get sick or have issues they are quick
 to  self  -treat with the motivation, and goal-oriented mind set to get
 back to living and and the flexibility to adapt to their condition. And
 they  use their OT as a resource to achieve goals. I see a few of these
 kinds  of  patients  in  SNFS,  BUT,  the  greater  majority of the SNF
 patient's  I  see  have  an ongoing Occupation deficit which correlates
 with  their poor health status and issues and lack of ability to adapt.
 We  are  often  faced  with the toughest cases, with people who's prior
 level  of occupation is so dysfunctional/deficient or co-dependent on a
 caregiving  relationship  that  they just don't have a OT-like outlook.
 Many  clients  "outsource"   their  occupation  by  expecting  spouses,
 neighbors, hired caregivers, meals on wheels, etc..to provided ADL.So I
 think  we  are  often  faced  with the most challenging and ill fitting
 clients for OT at the SNF setting, Hello company...it's misery calling.

So  should I begin selling snow cones at the north pole, or take my sock
puppet show on a national tour as a new career? What Say  you RON? (LOL)

Brent