Hi,

I work in a small community hospital where we have 4 OT's and 1 Speech
Therapist. We are trying to inquire with various OT's as to their
experience/hospital policy with performing swallow evaluations. We have
occasions where our Speech Therapist is gone, and a swallow evaluation is put
through. We are questioning if other hospitals have their occupational
therapist perform the swallow eval or do they find a PRN/contract speech
therapist to complete this.

Thanks,
Miranda

> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:17:21 -0500
> From: rdcar...@otnow.com
> To: OTlist@OTnow.com
> Subject: Re: [OTlist] The Timing of OT...
>
> Hey Chris:
>
> Base on my limited time with the patient and his mother, I think they
> are very knowledgeable about strengthening. The mother was very matter of
> fact in stating that her son was beginning to dwindle down. In fact, the
> the patient's form of muscular dystrophy is genetic and his father died
> from the disease and his sister also has it. All and all, I think they
> have a good handle on his disease but not on OT. At least I wasn't able
> to convince him to focus on occupation. Interestingly, the
> patient/caregiver stated how much progress PT was making by teaching the
> patient better bed mobility.
>
> I don't know, the entire situation is confusing to me!!
>
> Ron

Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Access_022009