Hi Ed'n all:-)

I'd like to try and give an outlandish perspective on the name issue: I am from
Denmark, and here we don't even have the word "occupation" - which seems quite
a loss ie when translating the Cannadian model etc - we still talk about
activities, and then has to expand: nescessary, meaningful etc activities. My
title is "ergoterapeut". (same "ergo" as in ergonomics). My Dutch, German and
Swedish colleagues are each called "arbeitsterapeut" (spelling differs a bit) -
meaning something like work-therapist... Not sure what it looks like around the
world, but sure solely discussing the word "occupational" woun't get us all on
the same page...?

Then fast forward to the word "function" - this easily translates into Danish,
I think it has a latin root, which sure helps! But even on this list I've seen
it used so broadly, that it seems to loose meaning. One day we are talking
about the function of walking - the function of breathing - even the function
of a certain muscle. The next day we note that someone is not adressing certain
things in a functional way. Seems to me we are back to the basic word "work"
again: It functions~= it works..? But on what level? Does your elbow muscle
contraction work to the level of creating heat, pain and spasticity; to the
level of banging your own nose; or does it assist you in drinking your coffee?

So for now, I'm at a loss for how we would better name ourselves, without ever
having to elaborate - but I sure am open to suggestions!

Has the PT's then had it easier - sure physical therapist is such a precise
name, or....?  (BTW in Danish it's "fysioterapeut" - we like to take the latin
approach:)
IMO it's incredibly broad - if I didn't know better, I'd easily think my MD was
a physical therapist - I sure never saw him address mental, emotional or
spiritual parts of healing. But maybe if I look at it like we go about
occupation - that the "physical" is both the road and the destination? Fine,
then my chiropractor must be a PT?

Yeah, I know - more questions than answers - I just am wondering:-)

Warmly

Susanne, Denmark