From: Joan Riches <jric...@telusplanet.net>
To: OTlist@OTnow.com
Sent: Sat, Jul 11, 2009 1:20 pm
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Over Utilization of PT in Home Health

Ed
Are you in Canada? I'm interested in where you got the Canadian stats.
In this rural home care area the ratio is 3 to 1 in favour of
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY if we have a PT at all. The situation is reversed
in acute care. I think this is as it should be.

I also have a theory on why PT is better known. We more often deal with
people who have multifactorial presentations and/or are marginalised for
some reason - old, poor, disabled, mentally ill, who are not as able to
problem solve through their own rehab as the active demographic in their
productive years. Most people have had some contact with a PT either
themselves or through others they know and most of these people do not
need occupational therapy to continue or resume their usual everyday
lives.
Ron's stories of the clients who have been exposed to OTs 'going
mindlessly through the motions' so some employer can collect payment in
wasted health care dollars make my heart sick.

Blessings, Joan