I am using FC5 and had to downgrade Postgresql to version 8.0.8 from 8.1.4 and reconfigured the config.pm to use postgres and everything went well. So if you have to download the binaries I would read up on which version works/has the least amount of problems with RH9.

visit postgresql.org and read the documentation on how to install. The site is very well documented and there are also "user" comments at the bottom of each page to help.

Good Luck.

Jeff