Grande Nils!

Thanks a lot, your mail give me a perfect starting point to solve my problem.
And more. I've a few notions about Linux (or *nix, generally speaking) systems and sometimes I just need a small kick to get started the right direction.
Thus, that was a good kick.

To answer your questions:
- "host mail.condor.it" replies with the correct address
- "dig mx condor.it" doesn't give me the two records you find, it lists a single SOA record (our vpn server, see next)
- my /etc/resolv.conf only lists the IP of our proxy+dns+dhcp+vpn, plus a 'search' line with our lan domain name (lan.condor.it)
- no resolving problems, as far as I can remember, on this machine
- I've run checkModules and the only ones missing are optional ones (LDAP, GD, GD::Text, etc.)

If you tell me network settings are not perfect, I won't be surprised.

Cheers,
Filippo

Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet) ha scritto:
Filippo Fiorani wrote:

Whenever I log in and try to add a new user (or a new client) tough, I
get an error page with this:

ERROR: OTRS-CGI-10 Perl: 5.8.8 OS: linux Time: Tue May  8 19:35:44 2007

Message: Email address ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) not valid (invalid
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (no mail exchanger (mx) found!)! )!

Traceback (4323):
 Module: Kernel::System::User::UserAdd (v1.50) Line: 223
 Module: Kernel::Modules::AdminUser::Run (v1.31 ) Line: 192
 Module: Kernel::System::Web::InterfaceAgent::Run (v1.8) Line: 651
 Module:
ModPerl::ROOT::ModPerl::Registry::usr_share_otrs_bin_cgi_2dbin_index_2epl::handler
(v) Line: 47
 Module: (eval) (v1.80) Line: 203
 Module: ModPerl::RegistryCooker::run (v1.80) Line: 203
 Module: ModPerl::RegistryCooker::default_handler (v1.80) Line: 169
 Module: ModPerl::Registry::handler (v1.99) Line: 30

I've found something about this, telling me to disable CheckMXsomething
in Config.pm... which I've found in /etc/otrs/Kernel and looked already
turned off.

So, question is: what am I doing wrong or overlooking?

I don't believe you're doing anything wrong. OTRS is warning you that it
can find no MX record for the domain condor.it. However, a 'dig mx
condor.it' shows two MX records for condor.it:

condor.it.              86300   IN      MX      20 mx.it.colt.net.
condor.it.              86300   IN      MX      10 mail.condor.it.

Your server doesn't have any resolving problems?

You can turn off the check, this option is helping you to not enter
addresses located on domains that have no MX record (i.e. non-existing
domains or domains that don't have a correct mail setup). Apparently you
got a false negative though. This could be because at the time you
checked there were indeed no MX records for condor.it (don't think so,
but it's possible) or maybe your server's networking is not setup
properly. Can you run 'host mail.condor.it' from your server? And 'dig
mx condor.it'?

What is my system missing? Is there any good-installation-checklist for otrs?

Well, there's the requirements section of the docs. And you can run
~otrs/bin/otrs.checkModules to check if you have all required Perl
modules installed.

Nils Breunese.