Smells like you're arrogant?

Please be polite to people responding to your questions...

I've worked in plenty of complex multi-user support request systems
> - I'm having trouble drawing parallels from them to OTRS though.

You are not the first one to ask this question and most of the time it's a small helpdesk where locking is too much hassle with not much profit because of the small helpdesk.

> So what do I do when someone in my department has a ticket locked, is
> out to lunch, and a user calls with more info or requests an update?
>
> I should be able to grab that ticket and run with the ball.  Period.

You can see the ticket including the history. You could add a note to the locked ticket. If you have the permissions, you may break the lock and convert to your own lock. It all depends on the configuration. We have one install were tickets are only locked when an e-mail is being written. After sending it will auto close (and unlock). This is because there are lots of people on this helpdesk and lot's of parttimers and this way they prevent agents working on the same ticket at the same time, but don't lock tickets for a long time.

Richard