Hello Rob, Hello List,

Let me see if I can field you email. We are naturally concerned about
the concerns of the community, and I do appreciate this type of
communication as opposed to that which I have seen in the past 2 weeks.

> I've recently upgraded from 2.0.4 to 2.2.4 and it was an
> 'interesting' experience (as it was the previous time too). In the
> end, it turned out OK, but more detailed and clearly up-to-date
> upgrading documentation would have made it smoother.

This is a community, as I have pointed out, we are naturally working on
bettering the support, not only for our supporters, consultants,
customers, but also for you: Our customers in the community. If you have
made successful upgrades, and have found corners and pitfalls in your
own experiences, then please give these back to the community. If you
mean to have written a useful upgrade guide for yourself, then help us
help you get it public. We have already had 3 translations submitted by
a community member, and are grateful for all contributions.

> The following is meant to be constructive feedback on parts of the
> UPGRADING file:
>
>  > These instructions are for people upgrading OTRS from "2.1" to "2.2".
> As Steve has just pointed out, the version numbers are out of date,
> and while the instructions might still be accurate for the latest
> version, it's not clear to those not in the know whether this file
> has been reviewed recently for accuracy against the current release
> of OTRS.

As we are still at a full version 2.2 then there is no version conflict
in this statement. For minor releases, there are no great changes to be
noted. If this should not be the case then the file will be modified
appropriately.

> > *) Install the new release (tar or RPM)
> As Steve has just pointed out, it's not clear which of the following
> you should do:
>       - do you simply untar over the old installation?
>       - do you untar into a new location? And then what?
>               How do you integrate the non-database items backed up in the
> step

This is naturally not very clear, and I will look into the clarification
of this point especially. But, this is the reason that the next point
come first.

> "*) Backup everything (database, Kernel/Config.pm, Kernel/Config/
> GenericAgent.pm, var/*)" ?

These are the standard files which maintain the proper operation of your
OTRS
Kernel/Config.pm holds all self declared statements and controls user
authentication as well as DB location and authentication

Kernel/Config/Files/ZZZAuto.pm all sytem settings made in the web
interface

Kernel/Config.pm holds the jobs you have scheduled

var/* is all info pertaining to system performance, system logs, and the
likes

>               Can these files safely be copied into the new location, do they
>
> need to be manually merged?

Kernel/Config.pm
Kernel/Config/Files/ZZZAuto.pm

These files will never be overwritten by the installer. But this does
not free one of making backups before updating.

>               What keys have changed in the .pm files? What keys need to be
> migrated/set in the Admin's SysConfig panel?
>               etc
>       - do you follow the entire INSTALL, INSTALL.webserver document? If
> not, which parts are relevant for an upgrade?
>               eg.     What perl modules need to be upgraded since the last
> OTRS
> installation?
>                       What httpd.conf changes need to be made since the last
> OTRS
> installation?
>                       etc.

All of these types of major changes will, more than likely, addressed;
if changes to these parts of the system have been made. If this is not
the case, then a bug report or an email on the mailer is usually enough
to get attention. But again, when some information like this would be
missing, then it is definitely not the intention of ((otrs)) as these
would be framework chagnes that would affect everyone. It is possible to
stay up-to-date when you register with

For Announcements to releases and changes within OTRS
http://lists.otrs.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/announce
and
For the latest chagnes to SVN
http://lists.otrs.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/cvs-log

>  > *) Log in as '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' and select Admin -> SysConfig to
> make sure that OTRS updates the configuration files.
>       When you do this, does OTRS run some special upgrade process?
>       Or does this mean that you should manually check all the
> configuration settings from your old installation to make sure they
> have been upgraded?

This is a one time process to re read your ZZZAuto.pm file into the
config of OTRS.

>       It would be good if OTRS displayed a report (or produced a log file)
> of which settings it had migrated so that you knew specifically which
> ones to check...

It is not the intention of OTRS to migrate anything. If there are
changes, it will be over a complete version and then mostly to database
structure. These are covered and there are scripts available in
scripts/DBUpdate-to-x.x.<dbmstype>.sql

Any changes to the system will be, as a rule, only additions and not
direct modifications of parameters or variables that are already
configured. So, in terms of migration of data, you are just filling up a
system with the data that you have already collected and adding to it if
necessary.

> BTW to the OTRS folks - thanks for making your product freely
> available. We've found it to be reliable and does the job well. Good
> stuff!

Thank you, and we hope to continue to provide you with the same quality
software for years to come, just keep up the work in the community!

>  >*) Update the database changes with:
>       This sounds good, but many posts on this list indicate that you need
> to run all the DBUpdate scripts from the intermediate installers
> between your existing installation and the new one.
>       What is _really_ recommended? (I'd be able to trust the UPGRADING
> file itself if it were visibly up to date ie. reviewed and updated
> with latest version information).

As before mentioned, the UPGRADING file is in keeping with the full
version number. It is required to run all update scripts between the
version you are using, and the version you are upgrading to. You can
trust the people writing to this list, they are going to want to protect
their own good name as well, and if you have any doubts there is the
documentation, even if it is written a little above the level that would
be expected for a normal handbook, where you can reference most of what
is found on this list.

>       > Don't worry about the error messages, you can update all previous
> version
>       How does the ignorant user distinguish between genuine error
> messages that should not be ignored, and those are are 'normal'? It
> would be great if the script ran error free...

If there are unexplained errors, then one should ask the list, or make a
bug report. As of this point, I do not know of any errors in our update
scripts. Please, help us help you. It doesn't help to "raise hell" on
the list, but then contribute nothing to make it better. We thank you
and all for using this list and our software. Many have done much great
work on this list. As for those just looking to get a quick fix and run,
somethings won't always make sense. (not directed at Rob or any in this
thread - Just a general note)

If I can be of assistance, I will always drop by, otherwise there are a
lot of active members always willing to lend a hand. As for the UPGRADE
file, if you have any ideas, or if you have made one of your own, then
"It is a much nobler thing to give then to receive!" We are happy for
all help from the community.

Once again, I wish you all a lot of ((fun)) and a ((great)) day!

((enjoy))

 Shawn Beasley

--
((otrs)) :: OTRS AG :: Europaring 4 :: 94315 Straubing
    Fon: +49 (0)9421 56818 0 :: Fax: +49 (0) 9421 56818 18

Geschäftssitz: Bad Homburg
Amtsgericht Bad Homburg, HRB 10751
Steuernummer: 003/240/97505

Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Burchard Steinbild
Vorstandsvorsitzender: André Mindermann