Hi Lev,

I would suggest that you rebuild the test machine to the same version
as your production machine. Once done, dump the live database and then
import it to the test DB and copy over your configuration. Once this
is in place perform the upgrade procedure on the test machine taking
note of any steps you needed to do that were out of the ordinary. It
would be a good idea to isolate the machine on the network so that you
don't send out test spam to your clients as Lars said. You could do
that at the firewall or simply have a private network between your
machine and the server.

Once you successfully complete the update process on your test box you
have your upgrade path. You can now be confident that you can
successfully upgrade your production server.
Once you have upgrade the production server to the same level as the
test server you are in a position to do some reliable backups, you
could even swap the servers if needed.

For the DB backup, mysqldump is a very good tool but you will have
trouble if you try to use it the way you've described. You would have
to edit the dump file and delete all the data in the live database
after each backup. I can see it being very laborious.

What you could do is this;

1. Create a second database on the test server i.e. otrs2
2. Dump the current live database to the otrs2 database.
3. Clear out the live database.
4. Perform future dumps to the first test database.

This way you will have a current backup of the production server and a
historical backup of the database that you can connect to if you need
to.
When the performance of the production server is degraded again you
could create a 3rd database on the test server and repeat the above
steps with it. This would leave you with a current production backup
and 2 historical backups.

Its not a nice way of doing things but it would do what you were looking for.
There's always the alternative of getting new hardware to run the
production server on :)

I hope that helps,
Rory Clerkin

Support my 365 Challenge in aid of the Irish Cancer Society

www.365challenge.ie