Hi Lev,

I've added some comments below

2009/9/8 Lev Davidovich <l.davidov...@yahoo.co.uk>:
> Thanks Rory (and Lars) - that is brilliant - it achieves the main objective
> (clearing out the live database while having an archive backed up)!
>

> I have some questions:
>

> 1) My test machine is Windows and live is Apache - is that going to create
> any problems?

I'm a little confused, do you mean IIS and Apache or Windows and
Linux. Either way there could be a problem here. When you perform the
upgrade on the test machine you don't know if it will work the same on
the live machine. If both machines have the same OS then you should
set up the test machine using apache too.
I know it could be a pain but if you have a different OS on the test
machine I would recommend you rebuild it with the same OS if you can.

> 2) My live version of OTRS is 2.2.5 and my test version is 2.3.3. So I
> should install 2.2.5 on my test machine prior to importing the database
> dump?

Yes that would be best approach. It would be a good idea to to make
sure that the database is the same version for both the live and test
too. This probably wouldn't cause a big problem as your live version
is quite recent but its best to do it so you can be prepared for any
unwelcome surprises.

> 3) You said “There's always the alternative of getting new hardware to run
> the production server on :)”. What did you mean by this?

I meant you could buy a new server or maybe a new harddrive and move
the database onto the new harddrive. Have you money to spend? :)

> 4) I like the idea of having more than one database in the archive. But what
> about, say, a ticket which was closed before a dump and then reopened after
> it, or the tickets which are still open when the moment arrives for the live
> database to be cleared out? How do we archive such tickets?

This is the tricky bit and I'm not quite sure what the best approach
would be. You'll need to research what is possible with mysqldump.
Maybe you can dump after a certain date only i.e. dump everything
older than 1 month. I don't know if that is possible though.
It would be a good idea to research the different backup methods for
mysql. There is a lot of learning to be done here but it is the kind
of thing that you can use with every mysql database you ever work with
so it is valuable to do.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/backup.html

For open tickets at the time of the archive .... you could use a
generic agent to close all tickets 1 month or older (that would be
very old if you're working in an IT department). Then you could dump
everything in the database older than 1 month.

For tickets that are reopened after the dump .... If the ticket was
closed and the user send wants to open the ticket again it could be ok
to open a new ticket, the original was closed after all. You could
always put in a brief description of what happened in the previous
ticket, add its ticket number too if you have it, and note that it had
been backed up.
I can't see any ideal solution here tho.

I hope that helps,
Rory