*Something* has clearly changed here.

Can you confirm that the SMTP server is running and listening on port 25 and/or
478?

Can you confirm that port 25 and/or 478 are open and reachable from your OTRS
server to the SMTP server? Nothing's going to work unless that's true. You can
test that with telnet (telnet <host> <port>).
If you get a banner or a prompt for authentication, then you know the ports are
open. Pingable tells you nothing these days; you have to test the specific
application ports you care about to determine if traffic can flow.
If this doesn't work, then the problem is likely a firewall issue.

Can you confirm that you can manually construct a message from a telnet session
originating from the OTRS server to port 25 on the SMTP server? EG:

telnet <smtphost> 25

and type:

HELO otrs.server.at.your.domain
MAIL FROM: <foo@your.domain<mailto:foo@your.domain>>
RCPT TO: <you@your.domain<mailto:you@your.domain>>
DATA
Test
.
QUIT

You should see "202 Message accepted" or something similar.  If you get any
other response, the problem is your SMTP server's configuration.

Can you confirm that your OTRS machine has correct forward and reverse DNS
entries that match and are resolvable from another system other than the SMTP
server and OTRS server? Most modern SMTP system will not accept mail from a
system that does not have correct DNS.

I'd start with those steps, and then check userid and pw if you're using
authenticated SMTP.