> Not quite true David, like I commented, try enabling SearchInReferences.

I have. It still misses fairly frequently (at least for us), which is why I
didn't mention it. But, that may be a function of our customer base often
having very old MUA/MTAs that don't reliably implement a lot of the newer mail
headers in consistently useful ways. We have to have a 100% solution.

SearchInReferences relies a lot on things out of your control (eg the algorithm
that generates message ids at the sending MTA). It's a partial solution, but
not a complete one.  It also doesn't really address the race conditions of
multiple agents dropping into the same folder from different customers.

Maybe a better approach would be to write something that you use to post
process a private folder for each agent on an IMAP server (eg, dump a copy of
all the related messages into a subfolder, then run a separate app that opened
a OTRS ticket, iterated through the folder items posting them to that ticket #
and deleting them from the folder).  All further correspondence is then done
via OTRS (key point -- otherwise your statistics are going to get progressively
more useless over time because OTRS can't measure response times, etc for stuff
submitted this way).

That should be fairly easy to write with the Perl IMAP library and the Perl
SOAP library, and would be fairly easily to make work against any IMAP server
implementation. Could be fairly easily batched if you used subfolders for each
group of messages (schedule it in cron or something).