Please note that you're looking at a specific way that you want to use
software to authenticate, but there are alternative ways to do what you
want that do not involve setting cookies. Note that setting cookies may not
work for some browsers, and isn't necessarily a secure way if you're trying
SSO if someone can steal or read your cookies.

Can an authmodule set cookies? Probably, But not as intended. An AuthModule
is designed to return a allowed/not allowed (grossly reduced effective
result) given a request because the requesting agent only expects such
response. If you want to create a session cookie, that's a bit different,
but handled after credentials are verified.

Look at perldoc Kernel/System/AuthSession.pm (CreateSessionID) and perldoc
Kernel/System/Web/Request.pm (SetCookie)

I don't think I can be of much more help than this.