The appliance is likely to be at a 3.3.x version. You will need to upgrade
3.0-3.1.latest to 3.2.latest to 3.3.applianceversion

Read and follow UPGRADING or UPGRADING.MD for each version. There are
generally three database steps: an update to SQL, an update script and a
post ups to SQL. (written from memory.  Docs trump what I say here)

MySQLdump will be ASCII for backup.