Hi Mark,

Many thanks for reporting this experiment!  The latency plot is very
insightful.

The DDlog implementation is far from being optimized yet, so having
multiple scale tests to use as performance targets is great. As one example
of a low-hanging fruit, here are the top two lines from DDlog's CPU usage
profile for your workload:

```
     436s339688us (   154514calls)     Reduce:
OVN_Southbound.Out_Multicast_Group(.datapath=datapath, .name=name,
.tunnel_key=tunnel_key, .ports=ports),
OVN_Southbound.UUIDMap_Datapath_Binding(.uuid_name=datapath,
.id=__id_datapath), var __one = FlatMap(if std.set_is_empty(ports)
{std.set_singleton("")} else
{ports}),OVN_Southbound.UUIDMap_Port_Binding(.uuid_name=__one,
.id=__one_swizzled), var __id_ports =
Aggregate((__id_datapath,name,tunnel_key),
ovsdb.group2set_remove_sentinel(__one_swizzled)) 3187
     391s335837us (   242500calls)     Join:
OVN_Southbound.Out_Multicast_Group(.datapath=datapath, .name=name,
.tunnel_key=tunnel_key, .ports=ports),
OVN_Southbound.UUIDMap_Datapath_Binding(.uuid_name=datapath,
.id=__id_datapath), var __one = FlatMap(if std.set_is_empty(ports)
{std.set_singleton("")} else {ports}),
OVN_Southbound.UUIDMap_Port_Binding(.uuid_name=__one, .id=__one_swizzled)
3180
```

It looks like DDlog spent a quarter of its runtime executing one rule that
was generated automatically by the DDlog/OVSDB binding generator.  The rule
matches port id's generated by DDlog rules against UUID's assigned to them
by OVSDB. It is only needed because OVSDB does not currently let the client
assign UUIDs directly. To make things worse, aggregation operations are
still not fully incremental in DDlog, which means that multicast groups are
re-computed from scratch on every transaction, triggering this expensive
rule.

We observed similar performance issues with Han's scale test.  Again,
having such scale tests is very valuable, as they help to identify and fix
bottlenecks.

Once we've fixed issues like this one, we will hopefully see the DDlog plot
grow much slower, at which point its runtime will be dominated by the
constant latency that we see in the first iterations on your graph.  DDlog
is optimized for processing batches of changes at the cost of introducing
higher latency for tiny updates. So, even though it improves incremental
performance, batching multiple transactions should still pay off big time
with DDlog.

Leonid