1. The DS2406 has a "Channel access" command that at it's most basic
level, can send a stream of bits to the PIO channel.
2. We can add delays to the write to slow down to any speed.
3. Clearly other bus activity has to be supressed while writing this
data stream.
4. This is more a character device than block device model, which is
why it wasn't implemented.
5. Implementation wouldn't be difficult. I envision a "echo "Long
string" > /DS2406/serial1200.A

6. microprocessors as slaves is technically feasible, but has patent problems.
7. There are chips with 1-wire and 3-wire interfaces, as well as the
DS2408 as a front-end for a uprocessor.

Paul Alfille