Hi Jan, Hi Paul,

>> What is the license on the code you refrerence? There isn't any information
>> at the start of the files, and I don't want to look too closely at the
>> rest.
>>
> This display uses the ST7036, a HD44780 compatible controller. The wiring of
> the DS2408 is for 4-Bit Transfer to the LCD, like the hobby-board one, but
> with different pinout. From the source, it has to be:
>
> P0..P3: LCD D0..D3 Outputs
> P4:     COMMAND/DATA Output
> P5,P6:  Button Inputs
> P7:     Buzzer Output

Oh good, so I do not have to ask for GPL clearance and all,
I guess, because this looks quite trivial and could have been
derived by anyone who's got the actual hardware at hand. Especially
as the hardware is being sold as a kit with a half-finished PCB
meant for self-construction, so no forbidden reverse engineering here.

Would you be able to add support for that device to owfs with that
information? I would gladly order one to test it!

There is one other company, their web site is  http://www.1-wire.de ,
which will release a 1-Wire LCD Module hardware soon, too. The developer
told me he would release the code for that. It's probably not going to
be much different from the two other boards we have mentioned in this
thread, anyways.

Oh, by the way, my home one-wire network with its 6 sensors, 25 meters
to the unswitched splitter, and branches from the splitter between 1 and
6 metres length, turns out to be a pure nightmare in terms
of reliability. Sometimes, for no apparent reason, all the readings
on the longer branches fail, then one hour later, it suddenly
pops back to normal. I know , I've been warned! ;)

That is why I want to correct the network topology, although I have
to stick with a "central hub" every sensor cable ends at, in order to
make the place look less cluttered and keep it service-friendly should
there be any changes.

I am planning to use a regular 8-port ethernet CAT5 LSA "punch down"
patch panel to plug in all the sensor cables, add the proper wires to
it, and modify the CAT5 cables leading to the sensors to create a real
"daisy chaining" topology.

Is it sufficient to daisy-chain the DATA line, and can GND and +5V still
remain in "stubbed" topology, or should I run all of these wires through
(i.e. back and forth via separate wires) all of the sensor cables, too?

Either way is possible, as I've got 4 wire pairs per sensor cable.
Should GND and DATA go twisted with each other?
Or data[going to sensor] on the same twisted pair with
data[coming back from sensor] ?

Philipp